Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Just a Day . . .

And another day rolls along . . .

Not too bad a day, I guess. More along the "meh" side than anything. Getting prepped for a rollout of new software at work and already the people who will be receiving it (next week) are bitching that there are problems. Really? This is some serious software if it can fuck up your system before it's even installed! Oy. That's people though, they DO NOT like change. Except for me. Just one more instance where I'm out of step with the rest of the world (like we need more examples of that!) I love change. I really do; the idea of new challenges, new problems to solve, all new stuff to learn . . . excites me. I'm always one for leaping feet first into something I've never come across before (which explains the army thing, I guess!) hell even when I go to a restaurant I'm always looking for something on the menu I've never eaten before. This attitude always leads to conflict between The Wife and I (what doesn't?) She is of the firm opinion that what ain't broke should never be fixed. All things should stay within the safe, secure, reliable realms of the familiar and anything that forces us outside of said zone is unquestionably "bad". Seems to me most folks agree with her but I don't get it. Isn't life supposed to be an adventure? Not a whole lot of adventures show up at you door at a sensible hour, on a weekend, to ask if you would: "Perhaps care to come outside and play?" now do they? No risk = no possible gain is how I see it. Of course, the inverse correlative may also be true, wherein: No risk = no possible loss. Seems a depressing way to approach life though.

So, got a little bit of writing done on "First" (about 700 words or so) but I'm hoping to get some more done later tonight. We actually have a rep from the USNA coming to the house tonight to talk to my son about his application and the school in general. The boy is still very much interested in Annapolis, though he is really thrilled about the USMMA as well. if he gets an offer from the USNA he'll have one huge decision to make: both are outstanding schools and both offer him exactly the career path he wants. Really, he can't lose going either way.

Listening to Christmas music as I type this . . . only two more weeks till Christmas break! (WooHoo!) The Wife and I both took the week off this year because it will most likely be the last time The Boy will be home for the entire time (military schools and life are very time consuming!) As you can imagine, the thought of that is enough to set off the tear factory in The Wife (OK, so I get a little misty too. I'll miss the spud when he's gone but don't tell him I said so, k?) We're down to counting his time at home in months and that is a very odd thing indeed. We are a very close family and we spend a lot of time together, even though he's a teenager with a ton of friends, a license, and a car of his own. it's going to be a hard thing not having him around all the time. (Shit! Who's gonna laugh at my stupid jokes??? Certainly not The Wife, I promise you!) Ah well, in any event I am very much looking forward to the break. Christmas in my house is always much fun!

Thant's all I got for today, folks.

I'm out!

1 comment:

Jean said...

USMMA is kind of a unique experience. If he has any interest in the AF, there's a program there in concert with Manhattan College to get an AF commission (at least, there was back in 1999).

Both programs are tough, but that work with merchant marine captains during the sea semester is particularly unique. One of our cadets had a scary experience with North Korea while on his.

Good luck to your son, wherever he goes.