Wednesday, July 30, 2008

AARRRGGG!!!!!

I went back to the Doctor yesterday. I was hoping he'd let me take off this damn brace and get back to running today. No such luck, I'm afraid.

He wants me to keep the brace on for two more weeks before he'll let me start running. He wants to give the fracture six full weeks of healing before I start pounding the pavement again. (sigh) He was certain that I'd be 100% to go for next month's drill and couldn't understand why I was so disappointed. I didn't go into the long explanation with him, just said "No problem." Well, it IS a problem. Two weeks from now will give me less than ten days to get back into running shape before the next drill. That is nowhere near enough time to get back to where I was before I got hurt. It's not that big a deal I guess, it's not like I'm shipping to Basic this month or anything but I really don't want to fail a PT test, ya know? Ah well, I'll do what I can . . .

One of the cadre at last drill (a SFC, actually) gave me a paper that has a three day weight loss program on it. I'm gonna give it a try I think. I know I've spoken against "dieting" on here a lot but It's been almost three months now and I haven't dropped a single pound. I have to do something . . . it's not even a health issue at this point, it's just practicality. I need to drop as much weight as possible before BCT, for the simple fact that the less I have to carry around and push up/down, the easier it will be on my old bones. I'm in the best shape I've been in for twenty years at this point and I can (probably) pass my APFT test as I stand (well, not the two-mile run but that'll be back soon) I know though that if I can dump another thirty lbs. I'll do more than just "pass" I'll do well on it and that's what I want. It'll also make it a lot easier for me to stay healthy and uninjured throughout my IET if I get rid of it. And - to be 100% honest - I won't feel like such a fat loser standing next to all those muscled 18 year old kids who only have 2% body fat!!! :-)

The Boy is off at summer camp with the Scouts right now. (I usually go with, but with all the time I'll be taking off work soon, I had to skip this year.) He called last night and I got the low down on how he's doing. I was really happy to hear that he was kicking ass working his Rock Climbing Merit Badge. The Boy is not a big fan of heights and he was very nervous about doing it. He told me that he almost quit as he got near the top but he sucked it up and drove on, reaching the top of his climb, even though he was scared as hell. I can't tell you how proud that made me! Honest to God, is there anything more you could ask of your kid than that? Just being willing to push past their fears for no other reason than they want to? I was grinning ear to ear when I passed the phone over for him to talk to The Wife.

Speaking of The Wife, she was in a car accident the other day. Nothing major, but she is feeling sore as hell in the neck, shoulders and back. She was stopped at the exit to a parking lot, waiting to turn out into the street when the dumbass slammed her from behind. The other car didn't do major damage but the hit must have been pretty solid - it actually dislodged The Wife's radio from its mounting bracket! Like I said, she's fine but sore. We'll give it another day or two and if the soreness doesn't ease up, I'll make her go see a doctor.

Other than that, it's all good . . .

Later!

4 comments:

Jean said...

Not sure about the Army's approach, but when you've been "off line" for 30 days or more in the USAF, they give you 30 days to get back up to speed. By your next drill, you'll only have had two weeks to prep after being off for six. Bring yourself back on line at a steady pace, and you'll be less likely to re-injure yourself (which would be a bigger problem). I don't think your unit is going to be too worried at this point -- they sound like they want you healthy, too. They'll be thrilled if you're back to jogging instead of walking. They'll understand. Build the strength.

Hugs to The Wife, and I hope she's feeling better soon.

SRH said...

a stiff neck and sore shoulders are to be expected after a fender bender. She will most likely be fine.

Take it easy on the ankle as well. I think your biggest issue healthwise is not if you are capable to do the tasks at hand, it is your body's ability to recover from doing the tasks at hand. I wish the best of luck to you and am sending you all the positive energy I can spare.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Thanks, folks!

The Wife is feeling better, still stiff, but it's getting better. I'm going slow with the ankle but it's hard not to push . . . I'm like a little kid in the back of the car ala Bart Simpson:

"Are we there yet?"
"No."
"Are we there yet?"
"NO!"
"Are we . . ."

You get the idea. :-) I just want to get things back on track and get this whole NG thing going.

Later!

Medic61 said...

So sorry about your wife! Hope she has a speedy recovery :)

Thanks so much for your favorite word; and I'm so glad to hear from you as well!