Monday, July 07, 2008

What I Learned

Hey, folks!

Hope you all had a great holiday weekend. Mine was good: had all the nieces and nephews spend the weekend, so that was cool. The Boy digs his cousins quite a bit and they're all really good kids so I'm always glad when they come by. We did some fireworks, a bit of BBQ, some swimming (Not for me though, ankle was still wrapped up!) played some cards & board games, watched some movies, even ran out for some ice cream. A good holiday all around. It's interesting, there's a big age gap in the kids: from 6 - 15 years old. The Wife and I play with the little ones and try to let the older kids do their own thing, ya' know? They like hanging together and doing the whole teen angst/texting/hating the parents thing (Not really on the last. Like I said, all good kids.)

Well, the ankle is feeling MUCH better! I kept it wrapped through the weekend, per Doctor's orders and I'm using a clunky-ass brace whenever I have to walk on it. I'm also taking pills to reduce swelling, which have worked wonders. It's back to normal size now, with only a small bit of puffiness at the ankle itself. Last week, the entire damn foot was swollen to at least double normal size and the bruising made me look like I had leprosy or something. I head back to the Dr. tomorrow to get the results of the X-Rays. I'm certain nothing's broken at this point but I'll let him tell me that and see where we go from there. I'll let ya' know what he says.

So, I promised to fill you in on some of the stuff I learned at my first RSP drill. It all seemed hectic as hell at the time and I wasn't sure I was being taught anything at times but I have to say i picked up a lot of stuff just by following along and "doing" instead of being taught. (Which, BTW is exactly what the Sergeants said would happen!) So let's see . . .

(Sorry, but I'm gonna actually type some of this out instead of just linking, cuz it'll help my senile old ass remember it!)

I learned my General Orders:

1. I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.
2. I will obey my special orders and perform all my duties in a military manner.
3. I will report violations of my special orders, emergencies, and anything not covered in my instructions to the Commander of the Relief.

(Warning to any new military folks seeing this: these are typed from my faulty memory, not taken from any official site, so there's a possibility I may have screwed up, so double check!)

I learned the Seven Army Values (LDRSHIP):

Loyalty
Duty
Respect
Selfless Service
Honor
Integrity
Personal Courage

I learned to tell time military style. I learned the phonetic alphabet. I learned the Soldier's Creed (actually, I'm still working on this, but I've got most of it down!) and the Warrior Ethos. I learned the proper ways to address everyone from a Private to a General. I learned ow to report to an officer, as well as an NCO. I learned that you call a room to "Attention!" whenever an officer of a rank higher than the officer already in the room walks in, and to "At Ease!" when an NCO of higher rank walks in. I learned how to stand at Attention, Parade Rest, At Ease and Rest. I learned that "Cherry Pickers" are the most painful exercise know to man (and look deceptively simple!)

What else? Hmmm . . .

I learned that you had better shave EVERY morning (trying to do it the night before will get your ass smoked!) I learned that being a loud SOB actually plays to my benefit in the Army (Yay! For once, no one told me to use my "indoor voice"!) I learned that Army Sergeants may be the funniest SOB's on the face of the Earth. I learned that Army desert boots are the most comfortable shoes known to man. I learned that I have got a TON of stuff still to learn!

Best of all, I learned that I really am capable of doing this. (Ya' know, once my damn ankle heals . . . sigh.)

Later!

No comments: