Monday, September 25, 2006

Pissing Me Off

I had planned to start this post with the words: "I'm feeling stressed today but I don't know why." I thought about that while blogger was logging me on, and I realized that I do know why.

Someone dear to me was diagnosed with cancer this weekend and -though I've been avoiding thinking about it- it's go me immensely pissed off.

Those of you who've been around here to read my babbling for a while know that The Wife fought through cancer twice. My father fought it . . . and lost. I lost three grandparents, two aunts, an uncle and a host of other friends and aquaintances to this goddam disease. It is a vile, evil, unrelenting beast that tears apart the lives of people who have done nothing to deserve that little slice of hell. It well and truly pisses me off. I won't tell you who the person is (privacy issue) but it's not The Wife (Thank God! I don't think I could survive the third trip to the plate!) but I will tell you they've been very important to me in my life and they deserve far better than this.

God don't give a fuck though . . . seems his phone's off the hook when it comes time to discuss the Big C with him.

There's the real truth behind my vegetarian diet. After a bunch of research reagarding nutrition and weight loss, etc. the thing that truly prompted me to become a vegetarian was all the research that links meat to cancer. Holly Lisle started me on this path with her post on her personal health (and I thank her for that!). I took her recommendation and bought the book "The China Study" and the info in it floored me. If what it said was true, I might be able to avoid the disease that I long ago resigned myself to dying from. (The Wife will yell at me for that last statement but it is true) The history of cancer in my family is staggering. I followed up with a lot of Internet research and a few other books and found a ton of evidence supporting "The China Study" and it's claims. I made the change and I'm damn glad of it. Will it keep me from developing cancer? I have no friggin' idea, but I am thrilled by all the other health improvements I've seen since switching and I (for once) have hope that I may be able to avoid the end I always thought would come for me.

Sorry, don't mean to get depressing (or preachy!) I just needed to spout a little.

On to the regular stuff - no writing or exercise on Friday. I was fighting off a head cold and I figured an extra day of would kill it quicker (and it did!) The good thing is that I got a request for another partial on "Slayer" this weekend. Another well known agent at a major house too, so that was cheering . . . as well as stressful. I sent it out today and now I have to sit around waiting for the other shoe to drop. Will they like it? Will they ask for the whole thing or is it to be my own SASE coming back with a form rejection? Ah well, such is the life we're striving for, eh?

I also have an issue brewing at my son's school right now. I have to talk to one of his teachers to get the facts of the situation but if it's playing out the way I think it is, there will be much ranting coming your way over the next few days . . . YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Later!

5 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

Go ahead and rant, I've got one coming up, too (probably tomorrow). I'm so sorry to hear of your near and dear one's diagnosis. I also lost my father to cancer. It was horrible. I am so relieved to know that you are doing everything possible to take good care of yourself.

Congrats on your partial request!

SRH said...

Sorry to hear about your current cancer woes. I look forward to the ranting and gnashing of teeth this week. People are typically at their wordy best when they are ranting. So from a purely spectatorial vantage point, this ought to be good.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.

When I worked in oncology, I'd go in the bathroom and cry during my break. I quit before six months. I wondered about God.and if I had the power to fix such suffering. Yep. I wondered.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Thank you all for the support. It's appreciated!!

Unknown said...

Support vibes sent your way.