Thursday, September 14, 2006

Doin' the Work

I was pleasantly surprised after my last post: I actually managed to get my words in, my walking done, AND get out the queries for "Slayer"! Of course, the only reason for that was The Boy had a school project due, so we had to ditch on the Boy Scouts meeting this week. Which brings me to my current problem: I'm forgetting crap left and right! I was supposed to go to that meeting with a birthday cake for the Scoutmaster but I completely forgot. Been doing that a lot with the new schedule . . . I'm accomplishing my main goals but the little crap is falling between the cracks. I'm hoping that will stop once this all settles in as a regular lifestyle. I'm hoping. If it doesn't, I think The Wife may resort to violence . . .

The ongoing saga of the dog: this weekend we are going to meet with three puppies (only ONE of which is coming home, no matter how damn cute The Wife thinks they are, or how much The Boy begs!) They are (of course!) all female and they are rescued from a kill shelter so The Wife is thrilled on all counts. I think she's just looking to balance the levels of pee-pee power in the house. Right now there's two pee-pees to her none and she's not diggin' it! The Boy is totally psyched about it and one way or another we're coming home with a dog (no matter what mood swing hits The Wife!) or his head's gonna explode.

Writing: got 1,800 word in on "First" last night (plus 1,300 on Tuesday) and I also got some more editing work done on "Fish". That book is still bugging the hell out of me. It was disturbing to write (Christ, I just typed that as "right" and I claim to be a writer?) and I still get anxious every time I open it to do the edits. The entire thing is totally outside my "safe-zone" and it's either the best thing I've ever done, or the worst. Honest to God, I don't know which. When it's done I'll find a few test readers before I try submitting it I think . . . just to give me some type of impartial opinion. At least "First" is moving well. I'm just moving into the high-speed climax now and it should be fun. My MC just spotted a few hundred campfires he thinks are the enemy, at the base of a mountain. When he goes to investigate he's gonna see that the rest of the army is behind the mountain and number in the hundreds of thousands . . .BIG fun for me (Not so much for the MC, who's gonna plotz!)

Busy week at work - I have trainees in every day so it's been nuts. Of course, there's also been a thousand other issues that came up that: "Only you can handle, Jim!" Yea, right. If the people on this planet ever start thinking for themselves we're gonna be truly dangerous.

Later!

2 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

Don't you just hate it when there's an endless list of stuff that "only you can handle". I don't know about you, but I swear I can sometimes feel my back buckling under the weight of that particular list!

The balance of pee-pee power is off in my house too. My husband is outnumbered four to one and he compensates for it by leaving up every toilet seat in the house. That often makes for an unpleasant late-night surprise for ladies who don't look before they sit!

Unknown said...

Here's an exercise. Think of all these issues as hurdles for your protag to face. S/he can do it!

Or you can make them ninjas for the MC to kill. Either way's a relief for you.