Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I'm Dyin' Here!!!

The Wife is going to be the death of me. (No shock there, actually.) At dinner last night she tells The Boy and I that she doesn't want the dog. Why, you ask? Reasonable question . . . one I asked myself. I will spare you the hour long back-and-forth on the subject and boil it down to the simple answer I finally arrived at.

This dog has a penis.

Yup, that's it: we will not be adopting him cuz of his wee-willy. The Wife is convinced that a female dog will be much calmer (this dog had the personality of Eeyore on tranquilizers!) and easier to control (in the middle of a pound full of barking/raging animals I told this dog to sit & he did without a problem). She wants to get a female puppy (this dog is almost a whole year old!) instead. Despite the fact that last week she wouldn't let us go look at a puppy because: "We don't have time to raise a puppy! We need an older dog, because we're at work all day and can't leave a puppy alone for that long." Can I say it once more?

THE

DEATH

OF

ME!

Alright, that's out of my system now . . . on to the important stuff: the writing! I put in another 1,300 words on "First" last night but I didn't get to the query letters for "Slayer". The Boy had a make-up guitar lesson (my little, long-haired, rock star!) we had to take him to and I had to choose between the submittals or my nightly walk. I chose the walk - I figger if I drop dead of a heart attack, an agent isn't going to be much good to me anyway. :-)

"First" is starting to pick up for me again. For a while there I was really slogging through, just trying to get some words on the page but I'm finally getting back to the action and enjoying it again. I'm only one chapter away from the climactic battle scenes (which of course covers 16 days - I don't do small battles!) so that should be a lot of fun to write. Lots of death, drama, and heroics. I wish I was one of those people who can write out of sequence - it would make it much easier to get past the rough points but alas: linear exposition seems to be mine only recourse! Hopefully, I won't get too long winded and I can wrap the whole deal up in another 20,000 words or so. "First" has taken waaaayyyyy too long because of the house -and lack of discipline on my part- and I need to get on to other things.

Boy Scouts tonight, so even getting the walk & words is gonna be rough, so I'm not holding out too much hope for the queries . . .

Later!

3 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

Jim, you're really doing it! I like your life plan and your dedication to writing. You are an inspiration to me!

Unknown said...

Re: dog.
She's right even if she was wrong (but you know that :)

Re: writing.
Will you be participating in NaNoWriMo this year?

J.A. Coppinger said...

Ooooh! I'm INSPIRATIONAL! How cool is that! Thanks, Lynn! :-)

Joel - LOL! Sadly, yes: I do know that. (If I forget, she reminds me with a smack to the ack of my bald noggin!)

NANO - I'm not sure yet. I completed it two years ago and last year I had to drop out 1/2 way through because of working on my house. I imagine I can do it this year, since I'm plugging the words daily anyway. I actually forgot it was coming up. Thanks for the reminder!