Friday, September 01, 2006

It All Comes Out In The Wash

You'd think the Friday before a long weekend would be a quiet day, wouldn't ya? Nope. Lots of the crazy going on at work today. Mostly minor problems, really: just a ton of them.

So, I have a thumb-drive that is my life's blood. I use it to cart my writing back and forth between home and the office, so I can get some stuff done at lunch and whatnot. The day I split work early to hang with the family, I ran into the house and just dropped my pants on the floor as I did a quick change so we could run out to meet up with the family. OY! Was that ever a mistake! I always take the thumb drive out of my pocket when I get in at night, it's right in with my keys so it's never a worry . . . usually. Later that night, The Wife just grabbed the pants and tossed them inot the wash; thumb drive and all! I was freaking when I realized my drive had gone through the wash. I was careful not to give The Wife a hard time since it wasn't her fault but inside I was flipping out. To the good: I'm really careful about keeping multiple copies of everything, just in case I DO lose it but still . . .

The shocking thing is, the wash didn't affect the drive in the least. I plugged it into my USB last night and the damn thing worked without a hiccup. Ya gotta love it when things are well put together! I took a close look and it seems there's a plastic sleeve inside the cover that must keep it water-proof. I don't recommend testing your's of course, but it's nice to know anyway.

Long weekend ahead - very cool! Having a BBQ for the family and I'm going to try and get some work done on the house - actually, I'll probably do most of my work outside tomorrow . . . try to make the yard look human before the family shows up. All the rain here for the last week means the weeds are knee-high. (sigh) Have I mentioned I'm not a big fan of yard work (or of any work, for that matter!) I wonder sometimes what it's like for folks who get to take their holiday weekends and actually relax. Oh, The Wife will tell you that I do more than my fair share of relaxing but it's not the same. I feel guilty (Ya' know: sometimes!) when The Wife is glaring at me and telling me I should be working on the house instead of watching the Giants game on the toob. I'd like to know how it feels -just once- to just sit my ass down without dirty looks, grumbling, and a nagging voice at the back of my head telling me I should get up and take care of X,Y, and Z.

Someday.

Enjoy the weekend, folks and stay safe.

Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine the panic. I try to back things up, but you never know if you have it all.
How was the BBQ?