Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wishful Thinking

OK, so I'm an idiot. (no shocker there for you regular readers, eh?)

In the comments of my last post, Hawkeye pointed out that the 10 lbs. I lost HAD to be water loss (Don't you hate it when people prove you wrong with simple math?) and he was absolutely right. (Thanks for the reality check, Hawkeye!) I knew it as soon as I read his comment and if there was any doubt at all, guess what? Four days after the loss, I had gained back nine of those pounds and it wasn't like I went crazy with the food. I ate normal, healthy portions, no junk, and drank only water. :-(

I was a victim of my own wishful thinking. I'm just getting so frustrated with the damn scale refusing to move! Well, it is what it is. I'm just going to have to increase the workouts and decrease the calories even more. I started this a.m. on the workouts; I went from single sets of my routine to double sets. That's 40 PU/SU, flutter kicks, bicyclers, and pull ups . . . times two! That's the core of my strength training days. I also do a handful of other exercises (5-10 of each) as both a warm up and cool down, followed by some stretching exercises. At the moment, my cardio days consist of walking three miles (same warm up/cool down/stretch) but I go to the doctor again today so hopefully I'll get the OK to take off the damn brace and get back to running. (Let me re-phrase that: "Today IS my last day with the brace!" Whether the doc likes it or no . . .) So, tomorrow I'll try the running thing again. I know it's going to suck getting myself back into decent shape for it AGAIN but I'm really just hoping the ankle doesn't hurt too bad while I do it. Damn thing is still a little sore and not back to full flexibility yet.

Did a fundraiser with the Scouts at a local festival on Sunday. What a frikkin' nightmare! It rained on/off, half the kids showed up late while the other half didn't want to work. The boys were wet, cold, and miserable. We made almost no money, had a major behavioral problem with one kid, I managed to twist my bad ankle again (minor thing) and my son got his knee and elbow banged up pretty good. There was more than that actually but I'm getting pissed again even thinking about it so I'll move on . . .

Still trying to square away my pay with the Guard. I had to call my Platoon Sgt. because I still haven't seen dime one of my pay for the last two months. Again, the cash isn't important but I need to know I'm all squared away in the system before I ship to Basic because then it WILL be important! I'm heading to the local Army base after the Dr. today to see if I can get my military ID as well. That way I can get on base for all my stuff and get The Wife & The Boy their ID's as well so they can access everything they'll need while I'm gone as well.

What else is up? Well, I've been watching the Olympics religiously (So, I'm a dork that way. What, are you even a little surprised?) Michael Phelps is kicking ass and I absolutely love watching the women's beach volleyball (No, not because of the bikinis!! Well, maybe a little cuz of the 'kinis . . .) I watch it whenever I can find it on TV, even outside the Olympics. It's a game I used to love playing when I was younger and the women are more fun to watch because there's more "play" involved than with the men. Oh, I like watching the men too but they're so damn strong almost every shot is a kill. The women have a lot more digs and extended volleys . . . gives you a chance to get excited and start yelling instructions at the TV. (Yes, I do that too. Again: why the surprise?)

Also been keeping very close tabs on the Russia/Georgia conflict. Damn me if that isn't the most dangerous and frightening thing I've seen in years. I've never believed that the old Russia was gone and they were now our happy, friendly trading partner moving towards an open democracy. This is the Russia I've been worrying over, the one that conquers its neighbors mercilessly under a cold-eyed fanatic leader (Hello, Mr. Putin!) Latest news is they've stopped their advance into Georgia but they aren't withdrawing and they've promised to take it back up if the Georgians put up any resistance. (Who sneezed? That's it, take the whole country!) This is the type of situation that could easily lead to another World War. Very scary stuff.

Ah well, enough of my drivel for one day.

Later!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I don't know if you remember me, but you used to exchange critiques with me on FM. My novel was "Marked by Fire" at the time and I remember really enjoying your novel. Are you still writing? Pop on FM and leave me a post some time or email me at:

freespirit1000@hotmail.com

And congrats on your switch to the National Guard. Big changes!

-Lee

Anonymous said...

Oh if you pop on to message me at FM, my user name is Perrinaeyne if you don't remember :)

-Lee

Spilling Ink said...

At least you found out about the new diet, Jim. You wouldn't want to go around all dehydrated. Just keep on trying and do the best you can. You'll get there. I know it.