Friday, August 15, 2008

A Reminder of Why

I had a visceral reminder this morning of the reason I want to be a Medic. I was on my way over to the cafeteria at work this morning (it was raining this a.m. so I slept in - no breakfast) to get some food. In the lobby, there was a group of about 8 people standing around a very pale and shaking woman seated on one of the chairs. She was obviously having trouble breathing and she wasn't able to stand or reasonably answer the questions her friends were asking her. The thing is, nobody knew what to do, including me. 9-1-1 had already been called and help was on the way, but I couldn't help but feel like I should be able to help her somehow. It's a shit feeling seeing something like that and not being able to do a damn thing. I've been in that situation far too many times in my life, I don't want to do it anymore! I want to be able to do more than pat someone on the shoulder and tell them: "You'll be alright. Help's coming."

I know that I will be able to help in a few months but I really wish I'd been able to do something today. I think the woman was having a stroke of some sort but that's just a guess (obviously!). Sadly, I haven't the vaguest idea of how to treat a stroke victim. Hell, anything I did was just as likely to harm as help, so I just moved on. By that time there was a small crowd gathering and I figured the last thing the EMT's would need was one more knucklehead standing in their way.

Well, I do have some good news: MY BRACE IS OFF!!! Woo-hoo!

I'm good to go with the ankle again and I started running Wed. morning. I did three miles -of which maybe 1-1/4 was actually "running" the rest was walking and/or a very slow jog. Damn, the lungs and stamina go away fast, don't they? The ankle held up really well during the run. I wore one of those elastic braces for support -just in case- but it really didn't hurt. It was sore by the time I was done but I'm pretty sure that was just the muscles and such not being used to running anymore. At the moment, the muscles on the front of my calves are sore as hell. I had forgotten how they tightened up back when i first started running. It seems strange, I'd think the muscled on the back of the leg would hurt but those are fine. I shouldn't complain though. I was able to run a mile without any real problems on my first day back out. It took me almost two months to get to that point back when I started!

Like I said, it was raining this morning so I slept in instead of getting up to run, so I'll have to make it up tonight or tomorrow. Tonight might be problematic. The Boy has an orthodontist appointment I have to get him to, then dinner before his teeth become to sore to chew. It will probably be dark before I can get out there, and I really HATE running after I've eaten, but I also hate working out on weekends. I try to use those days to rest/recover. Well, one way or another, my old butt will hit the road!

I'm working hard on the food intake as well. Last night, we took The Boy to a birthday party down on the Boardwalk. They were serving pizza and we were surrounded by sausage sandwiches, zeppoles, hot pretzels, ice cream, and every other type of junk food known to man (And damn, did it all smell wonderful!) I was good though, I got a grilled vegetable sandwich and a bottle of water for dinner instead. (To be honest though, The Wife and I did order a medium french fries and split them.) We even drove home past my favorite ice cream place last night and The Wife offered to stop but I was good. I went home and had an apple with a little peanut butter on it instead.

One last thing for today: Over on the sidebar I have a bunch of web comics that I read (You should check them all out!) One of my favorites is Delta Bravo Sierra. Thursday's strip on the Russia/Georgia cease fire made me laugh so hard I snorted. (Seriously - and at work no less! Very embarrassing!) it's a great strip. You should go back and read it from the beginning. Great stuff.

Later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
It's good to hear that your ankle is doing much better and you can run again, I cross my fingers for you :)) Your running isn't bad, last week I did a little competition with my husband, and was upset because obviously I can't compare to the man's body and limits... I still have a lot to do and like you, I hate working out on the weekends, but at least I run on the morning... I was thinking about the diet they gave us at the last drill, but there is nothing better than working out twice as usuall and eating less and healthy. I know, it's easy to say - I am addicted to a chocolate cake :)) and have to lose weight too... Georgia/Russia - I keep a close eye on them also, I'm Polish, so my country is next to them, there always has been a trouble because of this lovely neighbour, so I know how bad it can be, believe me. I still remember my childhood...
Hope you and your family have a great weekend... thanks.

Spilling Ink said...

There is nothing quite like a reminder of why when we undertake such challenges. I'm so glad your ankle is better, Jim. I know that must be a pretty big relief.