Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Me, Being a Dork

RAW THIGHS (ala Frankie lane's "Rawhide" - click to play the original)

Runnin', runnin', runnin' . . .
Though my ankle's drummin'
Keep that fat ass runnin'
You're Wide!

Rain and wind and weather
Some day I'll feel better
Safe, and warm, and dry inside
All the things I'm hatin'
Sore muscles, bones a gratin'
And pain that shoots up through my thighs

Movin' on (head is up!)
Head is up (movin' on!)
Movin' on (head is up!)
You're Wide!
Chest is out (gut is in!)
Gut is in (chest is out!)
Chest is out (gut is in!)
You're Wide!

Keep movin' movin' movin'
Though my feet are disapprovin'
Keep that fat ass movin'
You're Wide!

Don't try to understand me
Just put ice on my damn knee
Soon I'll have less chafing on my thighs
My mind's calculating
About this run I'm hatin'
And how long till I can go inside

Movin' on (head is up!)
Head is up (movin' on!)
Movin' on (head is up!)
You're Wide!
Chest is out (gut is in!)
Gut is in (chest is out!)
Chest is out (gut is in!)
You're Wide!

Sorry, some days I just can't contain my inner dork!

As you can guess, I've been running regularly again. The ankle's doing fine but damn, it SUCKS that I've lost so much stamina. It's coming back though. This a.m. I ran about two miles (all totaled - I did three miles but there was still some walking in there!)at a pretty decent pace. I think I'm doing something smart though; instead of starting out with longer distance at a slower pace (which is how I started last time) I started with shorter distances at a faster pace and I'm expanding on the distance by a few blocks each time I run. It seems to be working out pretty well so far. I haven't got my full two miles at that pace without stopping yet but I'm hoping to be there by the end of the month.

The Army is killing me with the pay issue though. I'm coming up on my third drill and still nothing! I sent my PSG a voided check the other day, so hopefully he can resolve it soon. I'll give him till Friday, then start bugging him again. Did I mention that I'm official now? I have all my military ID and I can go onto any military base in the USA. I even have a high priority sticker on my car for the local Fort, so I can get in no matter what the security status is. Cool, huh? I'm taking The Wife and The Boy to get their ID's next week so we can start using the PX, commissary, etc.

Speaking of next week, I'm on vacation (yay!) Not going anywhere, just hanging about the house with the family but it is much needed. Been a VERY crazy year so far. (Major life changes tend to have that type of effect, ya' know?) I'm looking forward to just hitting the parks, boardwalk, swimming and catching rays. That's the best part about living on the Jersey Shore - my fat ass don't gotta go nowhere to do nothin' (Yes, the quadruple negatives are intentional; it's a Jersey thing!)

Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting back to your running! I'm a bit older than you and a bit fatter than you and a bit more out of sahpe than you so I can truly appreciate what you are going through to get back in shape. It ain't easy.

I'll tell you what I keep telling myself when I have an enforced lay off. Just get back at it! Don't worry about being less fit than you were when you had to stop. Pick it up an move forward.

My endurance always suffers after something like a business trip when I miss a week. Its frustrating.

You'll get there!