Friday, June 15, 2007

Boulders

Sometimes, life can get all kinda allegorical and shit.

Told you I was going to the rock-climbing gym, right? Well, I went along because it was something I needed to do for Scouts and the original class was kinda fun. We get there, do the certification check (no probs!) and take turns climbing up and down the wall a few times whilst we belay each other. It was fun, but no biggie. Then, I decide to take off the climbing harness and go over to the gym's "bouldering" area. (not sure what that is? Considerate moi' has provided linkage!!) It's pretty cool looking and it only goes up ten or so feet and you don't need to belay each other. I jump on the simulated boulder and start (trying!) to climb about. Folks, I gotta tell you: it was the most fun I've had in years! Let's be honest - I sucked at it: I'm in a lot better shaper than I was a year ago but nowhere near where I need to be for this kind of event, but damn it was fun! Maybe it was the freedom of it, the getting to climb about like a little kid again without having to worry about drawing strange looks (Look, mommy! The creepy fat man is crawling on the rocks!) from people. Maybe it was the simple satisfaction of being able to do it at all (Last year? no way in hell!) or the adrenaline rush that hit me from using every (and I do mean every - literally!) muscle in my body at the same time. I don't know what it was but I came off those rocks laughing like a five-year-old on a swing and jumping back on them again, even though I knew my arms were gonna give out after two feet. It was a blast.

Talk about a workout too! All of us who went were whooped by the time we left. Even the two young guys (18 & 20 and in great shape) were rubbing at their sore arms. Even so, we all agreed to head back again tonight (we needed to do one more test for the cert anyway) I'm looking forward to it. I may try to get out there regularly. Great exercise, outstanding stress relief, and plain old fun!

So, you're asking: "Where's the allegory, Jim?"

Well, the idea of me scaling large boulders to find my way to happiness through physical challenge kinda fits the inner journey I've been taking, ya' know? I also find it funny that I only found it truly enjoyable when I was untethered -on my own- to climb as I wished that the real joy came through. Tired and sore but happy sorta sums it up for me lately.

See? Allegory!

Later!

1 comment:

Spilling Ink said...

I love it, Jim!! Keep climbing, my friend. You're doing great and I love hearing about it.