Wednesday, June 20, 2007

And the Allegories Keep on Comin'!

The allegory continues . . .

On Thursday night, I hit the bouldering wall again. Was having a blast, but I got stupid. I climbed one rock without bothering to put a crash pad (big, fluffy mat) below me. I figured that the floor was covered in 2" thick mats and that would be enough. I got to the top, slipped and fell off of a particularly rough transition and twisted about to make sure I landed on my feet. No problems, right? Well . . . maybe one. See, the mats on the floor are joined together by velcro at the edges. Lucky me, I landed with my full weight -on my heels- right at that seam. I pushed right through and slammed both heels into the concrete floor beneath. OUCH! I saw frikkin' stars! The bruises (luckily no breaks!) went from the center of my foot, around the back of each heel, and up to the ankle. I've been waddling about like a penguin for the last few days.

I had a choice then. I could have sat back and rested the heels for a few days until the pain faded, or I could keep on doing my thing and work through the pain. I chose option #2. Sunday, I went out with a group of friends and did some actual rock-climbing. It was up in the mountains, required lugging a ton of rope and gear up to the top of the cliff, then hiking back down and then doing the actual climbing/belaying. Hurt like hell but it was a blast. Monday I rested, then yesterday I had a buddy invite me to his gym (at an un-godly 5:00 a.m.!) as a guest. We did a "Spinning" class. This is where a bunch of very in-shape folks get on stationary bikes and peddle like lunatics for a full hour to blaring music. It was insanely hard! I kept the pace but I had to actually sit on the seat for most of the class while everyone else was standing, crouching, etc. in different positions. It was the best workout I've ever had in my life. it also killed my injured feet, but what the hell? I'm thinking I may actually join the gym and do this regularly . . . depends on prices and such so we'll see.

So what's the allegory? Well, there are two in my little tale today.

1. Trying to do things without a proper support system will get you hurt. I am learning that I do need other people to be my "crash pads" when things go wrong. I don't have to be invulnerable and unshakable. it's ok to say: "Hey! A little help here?"

2. Pain and difficulty only stop you when you let them. This has been a major issue for my whole life. When things hurt too much I would find rational excuses not to continue doing them. I don't think anyone would say not going climbing on badly injured feet was a BS excuse, but it would have been. I could always find good, solid, intelligent, reasons to NOT do the things that frightened me or made me uncomfortable. No more. My answer now is: "Push through it."

One last thing today, since I've gotta run. I got this link in an e-mail from a friend. I don't normally go for touchy-feely things, but this fit my current state of mind on where I'm trying to take my life. Give it a look. It's not bad advice for anyone . . .

Later!

1 comment:

Spilling Ink said...

I liked the link, Jim. Take care of those heels and good for you!!