Friday, May 23, 2008

Why Post #2

This one we shall call: The Public Why!

If you've been around here a bit, y'all know I'm active with my son's Boy Scout troop. It's a great program, with a lot of fantastic kids and adults involved. We are -naturally- pretty focused on civic duty, personal responsibility, and citizenship with the kids. I've spent 4+ years now teaching these young men about what it means to be an American and how they should take personal responsibility for themselves and their communities.

Strangely, some of them actually listen.

One of the boys I taught is now a Lance Corporal in the USMC, expecting to deploy to Iraq very soon. Another is a Midshipman at the US Merchant Marine Academy. He'll be graduating as a Marine Corps officer in another two years. One of my boys is a volunteer in the local Civil Air Patrol squadron. Four of them (including The Boy) are involved in high school ROTC programs, three with the intent of attending US Military Academies (again: The Boy!) and the other considering the idea. Some of the younger boys have expressed interest in the military as well. Now, I'm not saying I caused this. Hell, I don't even think I played a very big part in their decisions ('Cept maybe The Boy), but I know I played some very small part. So, part of my decision process came about because I had to answer a very simple question:

How could I encourage children I care about to do a dangerous thing I'd never done myself?

The answer of course is, I couldn't. People shake their heads at my age and think I'm crazy for doing this but I think just the opposite. Crazy is sending 18 year old kids, who've barely had a chance to begin their life, to do this stuff. The argument I hear most often is: "But you're married! You have a kid!" Yea, I am and I do. To me that means I have two very good reasons to do everything I can for this country. It also means that I've had twenty years to enjoy with a woman I adore (and adores me, though she still thinks I'm an asshole!) and fifteen years to spend with the greatest kid any father could ever hope for. That's a damn sight more thatn most of these kids putting on a uniform and going overseas have ever had. Hell, most of them haven't even had a chance to get their first legal beer yet! (and trust me - I've had WAY more than my fair share of those!)

Fact is (though The Wife hates when I say this) in my view I'm a lot more expendable than those kids. If I die, I have savings, security, and insurance out the ass to see my family through. If I die, my wife and son will be heart-broken but they can both understand the reasons behind it and they'll survive. Can you say the same about parents who'll never see their child again, or infants who will never know their mother/father? I also think folks my age are better equipped (mentally) to deal with the intensity of war. We have more life experience to draw on, we've lost loved ones already, been through tough times and learned to bounce back. I think that experience can help the young folks I'll be dealing with. I think they'll feel safer knowing there's somebody nearby with some age and experience behind them. I definitely think they'd like that in their Medic.

At the end of the day, I understand the physical demands of a soldier's life are best handled by young men and women. It sucks that they have to bear that burden so young but I get it. Thing is though, I'm one of those few guys (Now! Last year, not so much . . .) lucky enough at my age to be in shape to handle the physical demands. So how do I sit on my couch watching the Yankees every night while young kids do a job I could do just as well?

I don't. I get off my ass, raise my hand, and take the oath.

And that's what this ol' boy did.

Later!

5 comments:

Rowan said...

You and me both, though I'll pass on the 'expendable' part. :-) I joined the Canadian Forces at 34 (I'm 35 now), though my job will be to command warships. It's not a midlife crisis (damn I hate that term). It's a point in one's life where you reinvent yourself based on wisdom. Too many keep plugging at the wrong choices, rather than say "it's time for something different." Hats off to ya, and if you're on the west coast, give me a buzz.

SRH said...

I wish you nothing but fulfillment in the "quest" of yours. I hope that your service will adequately answer the rather deep felt reasons you made this decision. I also hope that the rampant idiocy that permeates all aspects of military life and society does not dampen your feelings of social duty. You will be shocked, awed and amazed at the systemic inefficiencies inherent in the armed forces. This will be an enjoyable read... I am getting some pop-corn

Spilling Ink said...

It's so ironic that most young people have the physical half of the equation and most of us, who are somewhat less fit and physically enduring, have the other half. Maybe you are onto something, Jim. Maybe this is another example of how we should all work together.

Spilling Ink said...

Something just struck me. You are the medic. You want to care for the younger people, don't you, Jim? You want to help them when they are hurt or ill. You want to protect them and try to save them. I can relate. I think that's sweet.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Rowan - Congrats to you! You're dead on - there comes a point where you have to step back and say "Nope, this isn't going where I wanted to . . "

SRH - Can't speak to the military idiocy (yet!) but I've dealt with the social knuckleheads my whole life and they ain't shut me down yet! :-)

Lynn - Yup, I'm the Medic. I can't help thinking that some injured 20 year old is gonna feel a lot better looking up at my ugly, old, mug than that of another freckle-faced teenager. Ease off on the"sweet" talk though, 'kay? You'll ruin my bad-ass rep! :-)