Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Why Post #1

The "Why" question deserves some attention. In point of fact, I have a feeling it's going to require more attention than just a single post (Ooooh! I smell a series!!!) So, allow me to break this down into components. We'll start with the first reason, which we shall call:

Patriotic Why! (ya' know, cuz it's my blog and I'll call it any damn thing I want, so there!)

I'm a fan of this country. No doubt about it, I am a dyed-in-the-wool, flag wavin', Star Spangled Banner singin', John Wayne movie watchin', fan of the U.S. of A! I think this is the best place and time in all of history to live. I truly do.

Of course, that has damn-all to do with why I joined the Guard.

Seriously, patriotism was the last thing on my mind. At least, not the hand over your heart, tears in your eyes as Old Glory goes by, kind. My style of patriotism is a little more . . . intellectual? Yea, that's a snobby word but it's the only one that comes to mind, so it'll have to do.

America, to me, is less about the country than it is about her people. This is a nation of generally decent folks. (Even though I can think of a few dozen right off the top who I wouldn't mind seeing hit by a large truck . . .) It's been the People in this nation who have been there to help me whenever I needed it. Not just family and friends mind, but total strangers at times. It's been the People in this nation who've fought the causes I was passionate about (but too damn lazy to get off my own ass to fight for). It's been American People who've stood against enemies, stood against their own government, marched when it was needed and sat in the streets if that worked better. Americans have rushed to give money, food, and medical supplies to every tragedy across the world and they done so just cuz it was the right thing to do. People in this nation have made sure everyone had a chance at an education, the possibility of a better life, and a basic standard of living that most civilizations throughout history would call opulent. It was the People who did all this, not the nation, nor the government, but the People.

My People.

I owe them for that. I've lived with the benefits they provided without ever once in my life doing anything to thank, repay, or at the very least do my fair share of helping move this democratic experiment of ours along. I figure it's about time I stepped up and did my part. I've never been one to enjoy owing a debt. Not to credit card companies, utilities, and most especially not to my People! (Yo, props to my peeps! Sorry - had to be done.) Time to pay up. These People have given me a fantastic family, a life far happier and secure than someone with my background had any right to expect, a damn good job, and the ability to do what I want, where I want, when I want, in any damn way I want.

I figure that rates a few years of wearing a uniform to call it even.

Yup, that's about as patriotic as I get. The rest is more personal and comes in the next few "Why" posts!

Later!

No comments: