Monday, July 09, 2007

Quiet, Please.

I don't have it in me to be entertaining today. Well, not just today actually. I don't know that I have it in me anymore at all. One of the things I've discovered recently is that I've spent a good portion of my life "entertaining" other folks. Being the jovial, smiling, wit who can make folks laugh on cue. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but for some reason it's one thing I've grown tired of. I don't want to do it anymore. Sometimes I just want to sit quietly and not talk. Sometimes I just want to sip my drink and watch the sunset in silence. Sometimes I don't want to have to fill-in-the-blanks with a clever story from years gone by. I want to be the quiet guy sitting at the table for a change.

That sounds kind of odd I guess but it's a good thing. I just don't want to perform for folks anymore. I'm me . . . Jim. I don't have to be the peacemaker and the guy who shuts down all the arguments with a joke. If you wanna fight, go right ahead! I'll sit here and relax while you do. If you spout off some stupid ass, hateful, or just plain ignorant comment in a crowd full of folks who are staring at you like you've got six-heads, that's your problem. I'm not bailing you out with a quick one-liner anymore. If you act like an ass, take your lumps. It ain't my problem.

I like the idea of being quiet for a change. (Though it's making The Wife nervous. Sh'e not sure how to handle it!) Just want to say what I want, wen I want. Not because I think I should. That may mean this blog gets kinda dull from time-to-time. Sorry 'bout that but it is what it is. Today's a quiet day, so everybody grab a drink, sit back and . . .

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Later.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Works for me, Jim. You've no requirement to entertain me. I do enjoy reading about what's going on in your life, and the observations you make.

For instance, it's entirely possible the change to a vegetarian diet does help you heal faster. I never thought about it before you posted, and now I'm wondering.

But please don't feel obligated to entertain me or make me laugh unless you want to. Lord knows we all have to do enough stuff in our lives. We're all real here, but your obligation is primarily to yourself, your family, and the life you live day to day.

Popping a beverage top to join you in just Shhhhhhh ing.

Spilling Ink said...

Chillin' is cool...

I don't think that anything you have to say is boring. I guess I'm just plain interested in you and your doings, whatever they may be.

SRH said...

It is difficult to trun that portion of oneself off. Good luck

Nienke Hinton said...

I wonder if it's an age thing? I, too, have grown tired of some behaviors people may expect from me. For me, the big one is being 'nice' and people pleasing.
Sitting back and relaxing sounds perfect to me.