Thursday, July 19, 2007

Quick Update

Well, I managed to completely surprise myself this week.

I opened up my notebook for "Slayer", expecting to pick up the redlines at about 1/2 way through the book. Damn me if it wasn't already done! I had finished it at some point and completely forgotten about it. Well, that was a nice surprise, so I figured I'd start the type-in. I open up the file on my computer and it turns out that's damn near done as well! I only had 50 or so pages of the final changes left to do!

WTF??

I know I must have done the work but for some reason I really thought I was only partially through the redline. Damn, I'm gettin' senile! Anyway, I polished off the last few pages, printed out the full MS last night and I'm preparing to mail it out to the agent who asked for the revisions tomorrow. I did a HUGE amount of cutting based on her input: nearly 14,000 words left on the cutting room floor. (Ouch!) It was hard to do it but the agent was right. It's now a much tighter, fast-paced book. The stuff I killed was well written (and funny, dammit!) but it just wasn't necessary to the story. I had to let it go. Had to get over liking the sound of my own voice as it were.

So, I'll send it out tomorrow and hopefully the agent in question will still be interested after a five month delay in getting it to her. If not . . . then, not. Other than that, the week has been busy, frustrating, annoying, thankless, tiring, and an all around PITA.

How's by you?

Later!

4 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

That's wonderful, Jim! I'm so glad for you. I really, really am. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about how you are with this.

Jean said...

Cool! Nothing like a truly pleasant surprise every now and then. Good luck.

SRH said...

You could have asked me. I knew where you were in Slayer. :)

Nienke Hinton said...

I wish that would happen with writing my book LOL!
Sorry about the PITA week, kudos about the editing.