Friday, November 17, 2006

Friday Update

Friday, and I am fighting off a nasty head cold that The Wife was kind enough to share with me. (ain't she a peach?) The best part of course is that I am camping this weekend. Nothing like sleeping out in damp, cold, air to really lock those sinuses down good and tight! It's our annual Boy Scout Thanksgiving Feast weekend. The Troop heads out tonight, sets up camp, and tomorrow we begin cooking (rustic style!) for what usually amounts to about fifty or so guests + the boys and leaders . . . say about 100 folks total. We use dutch ovens, box ovens, open fires and we deep-fry us some turkeys! We cook everything from scratch (mostly) and do it without ovens, microwaves, or electric can openers. You'd be amazed at how good it usually turns out. The boys (with a touch of supervision) can actually be pretty decent cooks. Following the feast, the boys build a large campfire and put on skits and songs to entertain their guests while they feast on all the pies, cobblers and other sundry desserts the boys supply. Sound corny and homespun? Well, maybe it is, but the boys put a lot of effort into it and it's a hell of a lot of fun!

Writing - Somehow, I screwed myself on Nano. (I think) I've been watching my little counter on the top of this page to keep track of how I was doing but I think it's wrong. It says I'm actually ahead in my word count but I'm pretty sure I'm behind by about 5K words. The weekend is shot already so I'll really have to kick it into high gear to make the 50K goal by the 30th. Tough, but not impossible. The novel I'm doing this year is an interesting one to write. It has two main characters who are leading parallel lives on opposite sides of the world. Of course, just for fun, one of them is a person and the other an elephant. Talk about shifting POV! It's going pretty well so far, though I know there's a lot of words going in, that will be cut later. That's the only real problem I see with NaNo . . . it's great for getting you in the writer's mindset of regular work but man, can you put down some extraneous verbage while doing it! So it goes. Anyway, gotta run. I'll be back next week to let you know how the weekend goes . . . and IF I make any progress on the book!

Later!

2 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

Hi, Jim! Your NaNo novel sounds interesting. I like the premise. Have fun this weekend and I hope your cold gets better.

Jean said...

Jim, that novel sounds great.

As for the Thanksgiving Feast, it sounds great. I hope you survive the head cold, though. That can really take the enjoyment out of a weekend.