Monday, February 28, 2005

Holly Lisle - One Pass Editing

So I spent a few hours on my completed novel "Godslayer" working with Holly Lisle's directions. Tell ya what: it's great stuff, but it ain't easy! Editing has always been a huge stumbling block for me. I tend to get overwhelmed by the need to cut entire sections and re-write/re-create entire portions of the novel. The idea of having to do so much work on something I've already spent months with, is daunting. I tend to move on to new projects and just sort of leave the finished works hanging in "I'll-get-to-it-soon" limbo. This time though, I'm really meaning to make it as a professional (hence this blog - and you thought I just liked the sound of my own voice, didn't ya?) and doing so means I have to get those works edited and out into circulation.

I don't think I've ever done anything as frightening as when I had to put a big red "X" through six full pages of my beloved novel last night because it was too much InfoDump and did damn all to move the story forward. I kept careful notes on what I cut and thoughts on where pieces might be re-worked into later chapters, but . . . Damn! I will say though that without Holly's outline to work with I'd be lost. The intro portion on defining your themes and characters is really priceless, it lets you easily identify what scenes are/are not vital to the story. I plan to keep working with this and I'll keep you updated on my progress.

So, it's going to snow here in Jersey (Again!). They're saying 8" to 12" overnight. Great. Like my back isn't sore enough from the crap that dumped on us Friday! I should really buy a snowblower, but the shoveling is often the only exercise my big old butt gets, so . . .

Later!

No comments: