Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Christmas Check In

Well folks, Christmas is almost here, and I'm down to 28 days & counting before they ship my old ass out to BCT. Nervous? Yup, you bet your tush I am! I'll be fine, I'm sure, but any new endeavor brings with it the fear of the unknown. As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I just don't wanna be "That Guy" . . . the old man dragging everyone else down. I didn't have any problems in RSP but I'm betting that BCT is a good bit tougher, hence the nervousness. :-)



Things are good here, we're all squared away for Christmas and the New Year. The Wife, Boy, and myself all have the full week between off so we'll be chillin' at home, sleeping late and just enjoying the season. I'm glad The Wife was able to get the time off, I think we're both gonna need the time together to help carry us over while I'm gone. She's been awesome about the whole thing lately, she's really gotten behind it and has been wonderfully supportive. It may take her a while to adjust to change but when she does, she does it with a vengeance!



Had a good bit of the joy taken out of the holidays last night when I found out that my mother has lung cancer. It wasn't an unexpected diagnosis but it still sucks. She's tough, in good shape, and has a great attitude so hopefully it will all work out but I've mentioned before that I despise cancer with a burning hatred. I've dealt with it far too many times and it's an ugly, painful, disease to watch chew up people you love. Think a good thought for her if you would . . .



I've been wondering what to do about this blog while I'm gone. Do I shut it down or do I ask The Wife to post the occasional update from my letters and calls? I'll have no access to the Internet at all in BCT and I'm not sure how much access I'll have once I'm in AIT. That means I won't be updating at all between the end of January through at least mid-April. Well, let's face it, I don't update all that often anymore anyway - once a week at best, really. I don't think I have more than 3 or 4 folks who read here anymore anyway. Maybe I'll just let it go and see if I want to pick it up when I get back. What do y'all think?



Anyway, for all those reading: I hope you have a wonderful holiday and a fantastic New Year. May everyone you love be close by, happy, and healthy and may they stay that way through the entire year!

Later!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you write it, they will read... or something like that. Seriously, I think the blogging is more like keeping a journal. Its something that you should be doing because you want to. Because it means something to you. If it does, then you will find a way to keep it up even if only weekly or monthly while you are in training. And there are those of us who will read it.

Ethereal Highway said...

I think you should keep writing. But then my motivations are selfish. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
Happy New Year for you and your family! And good luck at BCT, if you want some more info, let me know how to contact you, I'm leaving tomorrow. Honestly, I think you'll be fine, just keep working out, try your best and it should be totally ok. Cross my fingers for you.

Ninja Pharmer said...

Oddly enough, I'm hoping to do the same thing this spring. I'm about the same age as you, and my concerns are the same as yours - I don't want to be the slowest in the squad at BCT. I know I'm more than likely going to be the oldest and there's nothing I can do about that, but I'd really like to NOT be the slowest too!

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!