Monday, November 17, 2008

National Defense

Well, well, and well . . . another RSP drill weekend down! Only one left to go before I ship out for Basic. Scary, no? Did any of you poor bastards ever dream (in your worst nightmare!) that you'd one day be relying on a chucklehead like me for your national security? :-)

Hey - here's a fun fact: the new President and I will both enter active federal service on the same day! Talk about "change", eh? Well, I figure I'll let him handle his job and I'll stick to mine. No need to cross lanes here. Oh, BTW: did you see the counts on how many people voted? 61.4% of the eligible population, which means a net of 4 million or so more voters than in the 2004 election, making it the highest number of voters in U.S. history. Now, while I'd prefer the percentage to be in the 90th percentile, I'm still pleased that you all decided to heed my last post. Yes, that's right; I am taking COMPLETE AND TOTAL CREDIT FOR THE VOTER TURNOUT!! My brilliantly worded, finely crafted, appeal to patriotism and national duty is solely responsible for the historic turnout of American voters. I totally frikkin' rock, dudes! :-)

Well, okay . . . the candidates, the economy, and the wars might have had SOMETHING to do with it, but I'm pretty sure their effect was negligible and I'm the one who should get all the kudos . . . so, y'all feel free to start kudo-ing your asses off for me!

Drill was good this weekend. I learned how to set up and place a M18A1 claymore antipersonnel mine (sadly, it was just a dummy. No big boom!) I learned to use a military radio, and I was SUPPOSED to get a chance to play with an M249 SAW (Squad Automated Weapon) but alas, we ran out of time. (Either that, or they were scared to let me actually touch one!) Yet again though, no boom-booms allowed; just break down, maintenance and how to fire. Basic however will be a different story! I'll get to shoot and blow up all kinds of cool crap! HOOAH!

Good news - I actually lost seven lbs. since last drill! Woo-hoo! It's not much I guess, but at least the frikkin' scale is finally moving again. The workouts I've been doing are paying off as well, not just with the weight loss, but with the strength. We got smoked mercilessly yesterday (same stupid folks, doing the same stupid crap . . . AGAIN!) but I handled it with no problem and I'm not even sore today. That is a VERY good thing. Gives me hope that I may survive Basic after all!

I met two soldiers at drill this month, both training as Medics like me. One is in his late thirties and lives just down the street from me. The other is a nineteen-year-old that will be shipping on the same day as me, to all the same locations. We'll be doing our entire training together; I thought that was pretty cool. The older guy isn't shipping until March, but when he gets back he plans to join the local EMS squad as well, so we'll be working together there. It's nice to know there are other folks out there just as crazy as I am!

Today, The Boy is trying out for the HS swim team. He's been busting his butt for the last few months, trying to get in shape for it. He's worked really hard. I hope he makes the team, it's really important to him. Besides, I always think that hard work should be rewarded. it sucks when you put in a ton of effort for something and you don't get it. I know that the work is really it's own reward and that he benefits more from the effort than the success but -as his father- I really hate to see him disappointed. I have faith in him though, I really think he's going to make it. He's a tough kid who always gives his all when it's push time, ya' know? It's one of his best traits: he can be as slack-ass as any other kid most of the time but when it's time to step up to the plate, he ALWAYS gives it his all. That makes me prouder than I can say. Think a good thought for him today if you would. I'll let y'all know how he makes out.

Later!

1 comment:

Ethereal Highway said...

Jim, I think we are just fine relying on you for our security. And I hope your boy makes the team. He sounds like a determined young man and like a really good guy. Like his Dad. I'll be cheering for him.
{{{{{{The Boy}}}}}}
:-)