Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Nothing Much

Whew - time be flyin' by!!!

Can't believe it's mid-October already. I'm scrambling like mad to get work and home life allsquared away for when I depart in January. I still don't feel like I'm ready for basic . . . well, that's not true. I can handle the physical stuff but the weight is still dragging me down, ya' know? I have another RSP drill coming up this weekend. Should be good: weather's supposed to be nice which is always a plus. I hope they don't put me in as PG again, I don't need the extra grief. Still, I imagine I should get used to it, huh? It wasn't too bad really, just a bit tedious.

Big Court of Honor last night at Scouts. The Boy is SPL now and he ran the entire event. Did a damn good job, I must say! He's very comfortable speaking in public. He projects well, stays calm, and isn't easily flustered if anything goes wrong, he just adjusts and keeps going. Pretty damned impressive for a 15 year old. I was in charge of presenting all the joke awards to the adults last night . . . always fun! I'm a bit of a smart ass (I know: shocking, right??) so I always get such assignments. Torturing others seems to be my special gift. :-)

Less fun last night was meeting with one of the Scouts who's trying to make Eagle. Sadly, there's really no way he can get his project done before his 18th birthday and we had to tell him so. He was not happy with that at all, he really thinks he can do it. We left the final decision up to him but I'm afraid he's going to bust his hump for the next two months and still walk away without his Eagle. It's a shame, he's a really good kid and I wanted him to make it. Truth is though, less than 2% of Scouts ever reach that goal.

Otherwise, things are all good. The Wife and Boy are both healthy and happy (knock wood!) Hell, The Wife has even come 'round on the whole Guard thing. She's actually been wonderfully helpful and supportive. Oh, she still hates the idea of me going away for so long but I think she understands how important it is to me now. Bitch and whine about her as I do, in the end, all she ever really cares about is making me happy. Not too shabby a spouse to have, eh?

Well, I'm at lunch (work) and time is short so I'm gonna bail. Damn, this blog has been boring lately! Well, that's cuz life's been dull too. I'm in a holding pattern until I ship to BCT, so no grand adventures to discuss. Bear with, folks, it'll get better soon . . .

Later!

2 comments:

Epijunky said...

I have a good friend who's shipping out in a little under a month, he's reenlisting... While I'm hugely supportive (I really am), I still worry about him. That being said I'm so glad that your wife is coming around.

Mentally,BCT is hard enough. When you don't have the support system at home it's miserable.

What a great thing you're doing by enlisting. I wish you all the very best.

Ethereal Highway said...

It doesn't sound boring to me, Jim. I love reading about healthy and happy Wife and Boy. And you're going to do just fine in basic. I just know it.