Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Grand Theft . . . Candy?

Someone stole my bowl.

Do you believe that? A cheap, $5.00 plastic candy bowl, right off my desk. It grew legs and walked away whilst I was on vacation. At first I figured one of the guys here was just messing with me (the IT guys had much fun with my system while I was away!) but no, it has been lost forever in that infinite void where all candy dishes go to their eternal rest. So sad. It was such a good candy bowl . . . and so NEW! Less than two months old . . . it still had so much candy to give!

Seriously though . . . a CANDY BOWL???? My office is loaded with a few thousand dollars worth of electronics, etc. and someone walking by says: "Ohhh, Candy Bowl! That bitch is MINE!" Odd world.

So, what else be happenin' . . . well, I think I'm losing weight again. That's just a feeling though, my cowardly ass is avoiding the scale like the plague. It's just too damn depressing when it smiles up at me with its cheery, digital green glow, flashing: "FAT ASS! FAT ASS! FAT ASS!" over and over again at my weeping eyes. I swear, one of these days I'm gonna find out what it says when I take a baseball bat to it's digi-self! Who's got the fat ass now, beyotch???

Wow - that was creepy, no?

Anyway, I been eating right, exercising regularly, and I'm feeling good. Clock is ticking down quick on me now folks, only a few more months and I'm off to BCT. I really want to be in solid shape when I go. I am dreading being "That soldier!" as cadre likes to call him. (i.e. "Y'know there's always one soldier doing (insert stupid action here)? DON'T BE THAT SOLDIER!") I really don't want to be the fat old man everyone hates because he's always dragging the group down ya' know? That thought really scares me. Hence, the waking up at 5:00 a.m and busting my hump every day. I still worry though, the 41-year-old body doesn't respond to diet and exercise nearly as well as the 20-year-old. I swear, I NEVER exercised this much at 20, and I weighed all of 170 lbs. with nothing but muscle. Now? Well . . . let's just say I don't think I'll ever be seeing 170 again.

Heading out hiking in Northern Jersey with the Scouts this weekend. A nice 15 or so miler along the AT. It should be a lot of fun. We break into small groups so that we don't tear up the trail too much, or clog it up, and for the first time ever, I'm going to be out with the lead group. That's all the hi-speed young guys, who do their damnedest to RUN the trail whenever they can. In the past, I always led the last (i.e. fat/slow) group and sometimes barely made it back. It's a nice ego boost to have them bump me up front. With the regular running and dropping all the weight, I think I might just be alright . . . I'll let you know. Either that, or The Wife will log on to post about my massive coronary and tell you where to send the flowers. Either way . . .

Speaking of Scouts, The Boy was elected as the Senior Patrol Leader for his Troop! For those of you who don't know, that's the highest leadership position a boy can have in Scouts. He almost didn't stand up to run for the position (knucklehead didn't think anybody'd vote for him!) but the previous SPL made him and he won easily. He's just beginning to realize that he's a really solid, responsible, young guy that other kids look up to and trust. He's been getting a lot of leadership and advanced positions lately on all fronts. His self-confidence is growing quickly and that's really great to see. I've always thought he was a great kid; it's nice to see other folks think so as well! Good job, bud!

Later!

1 comment:

Spilling Ink said...

I have a feeling you are going to do just fine. You may only have a few months to go, but you have come so far already. I just know you'll do great.

And your boy sounds like a really nice kid. :-)