Wednesday, June 04, 2008

MEPS - The First Visit (cont.)

So where were we? Oh yes, the ancient gnome of a Dr. was looking at my med history . . .

The problem was my left knee. I had a ruptured appendix when I was 13 that caused a secondary infection in my knee that required surgery. The Dr. wanted to see the medical records on the surgery. Despite the fact that the words “No Records Exist” were printed in large letters on the form (I know, I put them there myself!) she kept insisting she needed records. I explained to her that Doctors only keep records for seven years (You'd think she’d know this, wouldn’t you?) and that the surgery was TWENTY SEVEN years ago! Seriously, the Doctor who did the work has been retired for the last fifteen. I haven’t had a single problem with it for nearly thirty years, is this really a major concern? She finally said “Ok, never mind” and I figured we were all good. She told me to get dressed and go sit in the waiting area. I did, and wound up out there for another two hours waiting for someone to call my name. Now, the MEPS medical floor starts shutting down at 3:00 p.m. (Fair enough since they open at 6:00 a.m.) and here it is about 3:15 and I’m still sitting there, waiting. Well, here’s where my politeness pays off. I hear a voice behind me asking: “Hey, how’s it going, Mr. 68W?” I turn around an who’s standing there smiling at me?

My Buddy.

Yup, the Tech who did my bloodwork. I tell him I’m just sitting and waiting and he asks what for; to which I have to reply: “I have NO idea.” My Buddy says “Screw that, mijo! Follow me!” He takes me up to the desk, gets my file, reads through it and tells me the Dr. wants me to have a consult with an Orthopedic Surgeon about the knee (Despite the fact it’s been fine for 30 years!) and to have the wax cleaned out of my ears (Despite the fact I have a perfect hearing score!) and get a glaucoma test (cuz, ya’ know: I’m over 40!)My Buddy asks the guy at the desk why they haven’t done these yet and the guy says they’re shutting down for the day; there’s nobody to do the cleaning, the eye Dr. is closed, and the Ortho Dr. only comes in on Thursdays. My Buddy says he’ll do the cleaning and orders the other guy to put me on as the FIRST person on the list for an Ortho consult Thurs. a.m. followed by the eye exam. He takes me back and sets to cleaning out my ears (Weird ass feeling! They jet water in and suction it out at the same time. Wild.) He tells me to be at the door at 0530 on Thursday and that they’ll let me in, so I can be the first guy on the floor when the Dr. comes in. He proceeds to tell me all about Basic and 68W AIT, and a whole bunch of really solid advice on how to deal with the young kids I’ll be training with. While we’re chatting, I mention that I haven’t eaten since noon the previous day and he’s like: “Didn’t they tell you it’s ok to eat after the blood test? Damn man, let’s get you some food!” After the cleaning was done, he walked me down to the cafeteria and made the guy there get me a sandwich, even though they were already closed for the day. See? Simple courtesy goes a loooooonnnnngggg way! Important life lesson there, kiddies!

So, I ended my first day at MEPS. I headed back down to the NG office to meet up with my recruiter and head the hell home. All-in-all it turned out to be a 15 hour day (Not including the previous night in hotel hell!) but I had passed everything except for two minor tests, which I figured I’d blow through in an hour or two (Hopeful fool that I am!) I figured I’d be in the NJARNG in just another few days.

I couldn’t have been any more wrong, as you soon will see, in: MEPS – The Second Visit.

Later!

No comments: