Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changessss!

So, The Boy is growing up.

He went to school today in his NROTC uniorm for the first time and he actually looked great in it. The Wife was good, she didn't cry (though she did go back to bed and pull the covers over her head after he left, so I have my suspicions!) but she ain't happy her baby is growing up. Folks have been noticing lately that he's quieter and more thoughtful when he speaks and that he handles things with a bit more confidence than you'd expect to see in most 14 year olds. I watched him last week, running his Scout Troop's color guard at a $500/plate black-tie fundraiser. He calmly, and politely, spoke with four of five local dignitaries (university president, radio DJ, former senator, BSA council president, etc.) to arrange and coordinate the entire evening's program for his guys and he never once asked me for help or advice. He ran the program so well, all the dignitaries made a point of telling me how remarkable the boys were. They even made sure to get a number of pictures with the boys for publicity. Yup, he done good! The Boy's ok in my book! :-)

Other things . . . Well, I'm carrying a full-time (15 Credit) course load in my return to college. (No, I don't do things by half.) It's a little daunting but I think I can do it. it's been a few years since I had to study and take tests, but it's like riding a bike, right? Shit, I hope so!

Still running every day and the weight is still moving downward, albeit slowly. (Why can't I lose 30 lbs/day, huh? Is that too much to ask? Sheesh!) All-in-all, things are going great at the moment, even if a bit hectic, but I'll take it.

Writing . . . ummmmm . . . no? None at all. Just haven't had the time, or the burning desire. I'm trying to learn to live in the real world for once, ya' know? I'm actually enjoying it out here and I don't want to get lost back inside myself again. I'll head back to it, but only when I'm certain that I won't lose my place here in reality. Does that make sense? Nah, not to me either. Oh well, you'll have to trust me on that one! :-)

Later!

2 comments:

Jean said...

Congrats to "The Boy" -- and you and The Wife for guiding him in the right direction.

I do understand about wanting to make sure you're anchored in "the real world." It makes a lot of sense to me, and it's very important.

Spilling Ink said...

I think it makes a lot of sense, too, Jim. That's because you're not 'just some schlub from New Jersey'! You, my friend, are a conqueror. I dig that. Your son sounds like an absolute delight and a remarkable young man. It's no wonder you are so proud of him.
{{{{{{{{Jim}}}}}}}}