Monday, January 23, 2006

A Cup of Coffee

A good wife can help make even Mondays bearable.

I didn't know that until this morning but apparently it is so. I got to start this first, and most vile, day of the work week with a smile on my face for once. The wife gave me a special gift this morning (no . . . not THAT! You should have your mind washed out, with such filthy thoughts!) She had to drive the boy to school this a.m. because he was carrying a large project and on the way home she stopped at Dunkin' Donuts and got me a cup of hot, fresh, coffee. It was waiting for me in the car as I left for work. How cool is that?

So, news from the writing world:

Well, I edited and sent out a second short story on Friday. Not sure where the sudden urge for the shorts came from but I figured to just go with it for the moment. Over lunch today I started re-working the synopsis and query letter for "Slayer". I've been doing a good bit of reading on the Web lately about both those topics and think I see where my problems lie. With a bit (read: a shitload!) of work and some luck I may be able to get some more positive responses out of some agents/editors. I also just bought Holly Lisle's "Create a Character Clinic" and PBW's "Way of the Cheetah" from Holly's new online shop. Both these writers have been key to helping me get my act together and start moving toward the publication goal so I'm really looking forward to reading both e-books.

On the home front:

I have determined that I am clueless about what motivates people and that I should just shut up and learn to go with the flow. I was convinced the contractor was trying to screw me and get out of completing the job I paid him to do, hence the no-shows. So, on friday night he comes by the house to talk to me (I had every intention of bootin' his ass to the curb!) and apologize up one side and down the other. He promises to get the job done and to show good faith, he was there all day Saturday and Sunday (Both! He didn't leave my house until nearly 8:00 p.m. last night!) Not only was he there, but his wife and daughter came with him and pitched in. I don't know what to think now. He promises that he will personally be there every day until the job's done. Will he follow through? I have NO friggin' clue. I'm just goin' with the flow . . . Good thing: the kitchen sink is up and working now, which makes the wife happy as all get out. (Hence, my morning coffee surprise!) It means she doesn't have to do dishes in our bathtub any more!

Stress has been taking a heavy toll on my ability to write recently. My mind is too locked into the house problems to focus on the current novel, hence the editing of older stuff and the reading of writerly "how-to" things. It keeps me moving forward, without the need to be particularly creative. The creativity is on a back burner until my home life gets back to something resembling normality. Working on synopsis and queries will keep me occupied until I can return to the regular writing schedule.

Later!

No comments: