Monday, June 13, 2005

Monday Sucks Again

Mondays are a large, festering, pimple on the unwashed, hairy, ass of humanity. They should be excised with intense agony by an alcoholic surgeon who has the shakes and a tendency toward sadism.

Other than that, I'm just fine . . . how about you?

The weekend damn near killed me, folks. The Relay for Life was a great event (and actually a lot of fun!) but I walked over twelve miles (yea, that's right twelve-frikkin-miles!) and didn't sleep for over 38 hours. This is NOT the type of activity for overwight, out of shape, bald dudes to involve themeselves with! (Not sure how the bald thing matters, but it sounds funny . . .) We helped raise awareness of the need for more cancer research as well as much money. The event brought in well over $160,000 and our team brought in almost $4,000 in pledges. It was worth the exhaustion (and blisters!) that ensued. So of course,I had no possible way of taking off work today to catch up on much needed sleep. Monday returned with a vengeance to kick me square in the family jewels and laugh as I curled up in the fetal position on the floor. (Refer to sentence one, above.)

No writing this weekend at all (Hey, don't get all testy with me! No sleep = no writing . . . them's da rules.) but I did get some more work done late Friday on GS. I'm down to the last 100 pages of the book now. I also started my Agent Query letter and Synopsis of GS. Scary stuff, but I'm doing it! I'll be posting the synposis for review by the AFC circle over of FM for the ladies to beat up on (if they'll still have me - I've been noticeably absent of late)

Okay, so what's on my mind today: Pretty Girls.

I am fascinated by pretty girls. (no, not the way you think! Well . . . okay, that way too but that's NOT the point I'm making here!) I saw a girl today, that most people would probably not consider pretty. Oh, she's not ugly or anything but most folks would give her a "Oh, she's cute, I guess." sort of response. Now, I have no idea why but it seems those are always the sort of girls I find the prettiest. I don't know this girl, didn't meet her, or even see her for more than a few moments, but something inside me immediately said: "Wow, look at her!" Now I know what you're thinking: killer body right? Nope. She was actually a little on the skinny side with nothing remarkable about her form. Small in the chest and straight hipped. So what made her seem so pretty to me?

Don't really know and that's why I've been thinking about it.

All I can really come up with is that she looked happy. Not the: "Gee, something good just happened" sort of happy, but the: "I know who I am and that's just fine by me." sort of happy. It was in her face, and her posture. In the way she moved, I guess. She wasn't showing off for anyone (like the conventionally pretty ones always seem to do) and she wasn't hiding anything or looking away from other folks. She was comfortable with who she was. That struck me as particularly lovely. I smiled at her and she smiled back without hesitation, then we went our separate ways. To go Gump-ish (in the Forrest sense) "Pretty is as pretty does". She was just being herself without apology and that struck me as the prettiest thing I've seen in a long time. Those are either words of wisdom, or complete bullshit I came up with by projecting my own imagination onto a stranger.

You get to decide which.

Later!

No comments: